4.30.2013

Cooking Experiments #1: Iced Coffee

As my weight and consequently my Weight Watcher's points for the day decrease, I've begun trying to find ways to make and enjoy tasty foods and beverages without wrecking my diet with a bunch of unnecessary fats and carbs. This... has been a process... and not always a successful one.

My latest experiment is pretty simple: iced coffee. Now, I like regular hot coffee just fine, but it's getting warmer outside and I still need caffeine. In fact, I need it more than ever since I'm trying to kick my Excedrin habit. I usually take one every day, instead of just when I have a migraine, because they're full of caffeine; I would just drink regular coffee instead, buuuut it makes me super sweaty. And you all know how much I hate to be sweaty. Well, if you didn't before, you do now. 

I didn't think it would be that tough to find a good recipe for homemade iced coffee, but there are a billion different recipes all over the Internetz. I've looked at some before that said you need to make ice cubes out of coffee. (Tried this once; super fail.) Or recipes calling for condensed milk, which sounds delicious, but zomg sugar.  

I like my coffee with milk and sugar, and a hint of flavor if I can get it. If you prefer your coffee plain, it's a simple matter for you. 

Plain Iced Coffee Recipe*
Make a double-strength pot of coffee (or however much desired). 
Chill or refrigerate, overnight if possible. 
Pour over ice when ready to drink. 

*If you want to add sugar, artificial sweetener, or powdered creamer, you need to add these things while the coffee is HOT. If you don't, the sugar/sweetener/powder will NOT dissolve. If you are using liquid sweetener, flavoring syrup, milk or liquid creamer, these can be added AFTER the coffee is cool. 

Anyway. This is how I made my personal blend.

P Dragon's Iced Coffee Recipe**
3 Tbsp of coffee, or 4 cups, i.e. the amount a lil Mr. Coffee will brew. (Yes, that's double-strength; I'm a lightweight.) 
8 tsp of fat-free/sugar-free powdered creamer, plain flavor. (total: 2 WW pts) 
2 tsp of Coffee Mate fat-free Chocolate creamer (total: 1 WW pts)

Brew coffee, add powdered creamer, refrigerate overnight. 
In the morning, add: 
ice and
4-5 tsp of sugar-free Torani syrup. This morning, Hazelnut.

Total WW points for this beast: 3 pts.

**I'm not entirely sure on these numbers, because maths was involved, but I'll be testing it again tomorrow. 

Annnnd there you have it. 
Seems simple, and yet.... I have completely fucked this up before, so here you are, to benefit from my previous failure. 

If you're interested in reading more about my previous cooking experiments, leave a comment and I'll do a post on those. Previous cooking experiments include: 

-Spaghetti squash
-Kale chips or How to Make Kale Not Taste Like Ass
-Lower fat muffins/cupcakes/cookies using applesauce instead of oil.
-Shirataki Noodles
-and probably others I've forgotten. 


No comments:

Post a Comment